Monday, August 20, 2012

Interview with the AD


Talking With the AD – I sat down with Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Larry Milligan last week to discuss the state of athletics at Oglethorpe County High School.  We had a good conversation about sports, athletics, funding and the new region.  This is the first segment.

Quickly covering last spring’s sports, boy’s baseball and boys soccer didn’t do so well, but girls soccer and boys and girls track did real well. 

“Taking baseball first, I thought that baseball was in a real tough region but I also though there were some real bright spots, which I think will lead to big success this year.  Girl’s soccer was right on the edge of getting into the playoffs.  It was real disappointing that they didn’t get in, but, once again, I think they’ll get in this year.  Boy’s soccer, like baseball, was in a tough region, but they are a young team, like baseball, and hopefully they will improve. 

Track and field has always been a staple in OC athletics.  Looking back they have always been good in track and field.  That tradition has continued with Coach Minish and Coach Finch.  Anytime you finish in the top five in the state you’re pretty good. “

Were there any surprises in the spring sports?  

“Being involved in track and field I was surprised that we didn’t win it all.  We were disappointed by that.  I think all those programs are headed in the right direction.  It will be interesting to see how we do in the new region.”

What are your thoughts on the summer workouts?

“I think that’s the biggest improvement area that I can think of.  When we started the weight room two years ago we can now start to reap the benefits.  I think you are seeing more use of the weight facility by the other sports.  I can see it by the size kids we are putting on the field and their strength has improved every year.” 

What about other sports using the weight facility?

“When I first got here, as AD, I made the other sports use the facility but I have kind of gotten away from that.  I feel like it’s the coaches responsibility to train their athletes and if they don’t use the weight facility it tells me about their work ethic, what they think of weight training, and perhaps, their lack of knowledge of weight training.  I think we did have good participation by other sports.  Girl’s basketball did not participate in weight training this summer but I think that they had situations that need attention that was more important than weight training.  Coach Rindone had her soccer girls here a lot over the summer.  That to me tells me her work ethic and how she wants here program to go.”

Stay tuned for the next segment of Talking with the AD later on this week. 






No comments:

Post a Comment